Sunday, May 14, 2017

Happy Mother's Day

We, mothers, all have our own special requests for Mother's Day...breakfast in bed, a special gift or outing, a day of golf, time with family....My request was a day of birding with my family. Nobody was surprised!
Lucky me, I got my breakfast in bed AND a day of birding at San Jacinto Wildlife Refuge.
 A couple of the shorebirds we encountered seemed appropriate to share on Mother's Day - The American Avocet and the Black-necked Stilt
After watching a handful of beautiful American Avocets foraging for food, I noticed that one of them was sitting on a nest! Surprise!
Black-necked Stilts seem to always be close to the American Avocets. On another pond, we saw one sitting on a clump of vegetation with a few sticks on top surrounded by water.
When it hopped off its nest, we saw 4 large, speckled eggs. Wow! BTW, all these photos are taken from a distance with a zoom lens in order not to disturb the nesting birds.
Mourning Cloak


Happy Mother's Day!
 
Click on photos to enlarge.
Photos and Content by Robin Roberts.