Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Hidden in Sight - Part 1: Nesters


Discovering bird nests is tricky. Birds, of course, want to keep their presence hidden for the protection of their eggs and chicks. Whenever I am lucky enough to find one, I keep my distance and use a zoom lens or binoculars for observation so the parent birds don't get nervous and delay feeding their chicks.


The female Bullock's Oriole flew in head first while I was admiring this unique hanging woven nest. 

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) Female

Luck was on my side during this hike at Hurkey Creek. Two nests in one day!


Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)

This hawk looked almost ready to take care of itself. I'm sure it's out of the nest since I spotted it a few weeks ago.


Cliff Swallows (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)

These swallows nest in Garner Valley where they can find mud and either a shelter or bridge to build their nests as a colony. When I was here, they seemed to be in various stages. Some were still building nests while others were feeding their chicks. 

Cliff Swallows in Action

During these hot summer days, remember birds and other wildlife greatly benefit from a dish of clean water. Drippers are especially attractive to birds. Enjoy the birds! It won't be long before the summer visitors head south once again. Once that happens, you'll have to wait another year before they return.

Click on photos to enlarge.
Photos and Content by Robin Roberts