Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Hidden in Sight

 


Nature is full of life that may not be obvious unless you are closely searching and open to surprises. Imagine trying to find this nocturnal Tawny Frogmouth in Australia. Even though I knew it was part of the Australian exhibit at the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens, I still had a hard time finding it. They are masters of camouflage!


It helps tremendously when something shows up unexpectedly to announce its presence. That is how I found the nesting hummingbird. I watched her fly into a bush and settle into a nest. Whoa! A nest! I wasn't expecting that. This was a first for me. (Note- My camera has a zoom lens so I could take this photo from several feet away so that I wouldn't bother her.)



 Some nesting birds are easier to find than others. I watched an adult Great Blue Heron fly to the top of a tall tree facing another nearby tree. In that tree was a large platform nest with huge chicks. They were pretty hard to miss but the adult helped so did a tip from a fellow birder at Sunnylands Estate.



 The desert fan palm, Washingtonia filifera, is a perfect place to look for hidden birds feasting on the tasty seeds or nesting behind the frond skirt. Lots of birds like the Cedar Waxwings are attracted to these palms filling up before their migration northward.

Verdin

Sweet Acacia

Brittlebush

Fairyduster

I went searching for spring in the desert since it hasn't arrived in the mountains yet. In fact, as I write, snow is falling outside my window.


When night falls, I suspect the grey fox that is mostly hidden from sight will return to our snow-covered backyard while we are sleeping.


I end with the adorable wallabies in the Australian exhibit at the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens. They were not hidden. Instead, they patiently posed for me.

Happy Exploring!

Photos and content by Robin Roberts.

Click on photos to enlarge.