Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Hiking in the High Country

Hiking in the high country in the San Jacinto Wilderness this summer is a new experience for me.
The last 4-5 years of drought kept this little creek from flowing in the summer. This year, however, the winter snow pack has enabled this life sustaining creek to exist.
Mountain Monkeyflower
 The creek is now lined with delicate wildflowers. Some are familiar but others are new.
Yarrow

Ranger's Buttons

Lemon Lilies
On my most recent hike, I did see a few of our returning Summer breeders. The most spectacular, in my opinion, is the Western Tanager!
The ground foraging Green-tailed Towee may not be as colorful but he has quite a voice!
Finally, our beautiful resident, the Western Bluebird was a welcome sight. I saw lots of different species of chicks out of the nest following their parents around "learning the ropes".
 Imagine not having precipitation since early May. Hard to imagine, isn't it? I splurged on a new bird bath and dripper for our feathered visitors. I planted it in the ground today. So far, the birds are eyeing it suspiciously. I'm hoping it will become a "hotspot", an oasis in the moutains...stay tuned!

Click on photos to enlarge.
Photos and content by Robin Roberts.