Thursday, October 27, 2016

A Hike to Tahquitz Peak

There are a couple of ways to get to Tahquitz Peak. I usually choose the South Ridge trail despite the fact that the last mile is pretty steep. The views are spectacular which makes up for the temporary suffering I endure.
This past weekend, we hiked on Devil's Slide with an extra mile added on along the PCT. I picked this longer route in hopes of seeing a bird I had seen 2 years ago along this section of the trail. My hope was that I'd see it again. Odds were not in my favor.
When we arrived in the high country, we did find this newly arrived winter resident, the Hermit Thrush. He/she is the only thrush that remains in North America during winter. The others fly to warmer grounds further south. Since they are only here in the winter, I never hear their flute-like songs. William Dawson (1923) wrote..."He who has never heard the evening requiem of the hermit has missed the choicest thing which Nature in California has to offer."
At approximately 8,000 feet, this dark bird flew into a tall Sugar Pine tree. At first all we could see was his black head and back. Eventually, he came into view.
I found my "treasure"! The Williamson's Sapsucker came into full view albeit from a tall branch far from where I was standing. It is better than a Loch Ness monster photo but not much better. Wow! It made the extra mile of hiking with a fully loaded backpack all worth it!
Suicide Rock opposite Tahquitz Rock

Most of the Summer skies have been filled with smoke from distant wildfires. Today was different. The skies were clear enabling us to see as far as Catalina Island to the west and the Salton Sea to the southeast. Amazing!
 
"We reached the treeline and I dropped my pack, sat down on my haunches and I looked back down over the mountain, helpless, speechless, breathless, Gaia.
James Taylor
"Gaia"