Monday, April 15, 2013

More Desert Blooms and Birds

Once again, I drove down from the Pine covered mountains to the desert. Because the desert habitat is so unfamiliar, I find it interesting to discover how animals and plants are able to adapt to such a harsh environment.
I returned to the Living Desert and found more cacti in bloom as well as lots of blooming flowers.
One way the cactus adapts to the arid desert is by storing water in its stems and roots and by having spines rather than leaves.
I have read warnings to stay clear of this Cholla cactus. It has barbed spines that are quite painful and difficult to remove.After reading that warning, I definitely stay a distance from this cactus. It is amazing that certain birds such as the Cactus Wren can make a nest here. The spines help protect their nests and the shade protects them from the intense sun.
The Mesquite tree is a common tree found along a dry river bed (wash) in the desert. It is unique in its ability to send a taproot up to 80 ft below the ground seeking water. Its small leaves curl up during the heat of the day to conserve moisture. Bean pods are a staple for lots of animals and birds.
Another tree adapted to the desert is the Palo Verde or Green Stick. Appropriately named since the trunk and branches are all green. It is easy to identify.
Lesser Goldfinches were enjoying the flowers of this tree when I was here.
Last time I was here, I saw a Gambel's Quail calling from on a rock. This time the quail was calling from a much higher perch. Unlike before, I heard another quail return his call not just a parrot mimicking him.
It is great to see and to hear a bird I recognize from the south - the House Finch. It has adapted to life just about everywhere in North America.
If you put a feeder out, you have a good chance of this bird being a regular visitor.
Lucky me to run across a docent sharing this awesome falcon, the American Kestrel. It is also found throughout North America. You may see one perched on wires in open areas hunting for small prey and insects.Nothing like seeing it up close though!
I discovered this hidden garden designed to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. While I sat, birds flew from flower to flower and some quenched their thirst at the flowing fountain. 

A thing of Beauty
Is a Joy forever
Its loveliness increases
It will never pass
Into nothingness

-Keats-